7 September, 2017
Shawarma Roasted Cauliflower “Steak”
I’ve been wanting to share a cauliflower steak for the longest time, and my beloved version is finally here!
If you’ve never had cauliflower “steak,” it’s exactly what it sounds like: cauliflower sliced lengthwise into “steaks,” seasoned, and either grilled or roasted (I went for roasted) until tender on the inside and crispy on the outside. Swoon!
My take is simple, requiring just 30 minutes and 10 ingredients to prepare, which includes my go-to green chutney sauce!
For seasoning the cauliflower, I went with my DIY Shawarma Spice Blend, which creates a smoky, subtly spicy coating that pairs perfectly with the chutney.
The end result is PERFECT! It’s:
Tender on the inside
Crispy on the outside
Served with a citrusy, herby sauce
& Incredibly healthy!
I love this either as a hearty side or served atop a bed of quinoa for more protein (see recipe + notes for more options!)! It could also pair especially well with my Mediterranean Baked Sweet Potatoes, Garlicky Kale Salad with Crispy Chickpeas, Curried Butternut Squash Soup, or Chickpea Shawarma Dip!
If you try this recipe, let us know how it goes! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Shawarma Roasted Cauliflower “Steak”
Hearty, 30-minute cauliflower steak seasoned with a smoky shawarma spices blend, roasted until tender with a crust, and served with chutney!
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Entrée, Side
Cuisine: Mediterranean-Inspired, Vegan, Gluten-Free
- 1 large head cauliflower (600 g), rinsed, green leaves peeled
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) coconut or olive oil (if oil-free, sub water or maple syrup)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp maple syrup (if avoiding sugar, omit)
- 2 1/2 tsp shawarma spice blend (or similar spices you have on hand!)
5-MINUTE GREEN CHUTNEY
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro (~3 ounces), stems mostly removed
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- Salt + pepper to taste (~1/4 tsp each)
- 1 large lime, juiced (~3 Tbsp or 45 ml // or sub lemon)
- 1 Tbsp sweetener (such as maple syrup (15 ml)), plus more to taste
- Water to thin (1-2 Tbsp or 15-30 ml)
- optional: 1/2 ripe avocado for extra creaminess
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C) and slice your cauliflower into 1-inch “steaks,” leaving the large stem at the bottom so it helps the “steaks” hold together.
- Place on a bare or parchment-lined baking sheet and rub the “steaks” with oil (or water), sea salt, maple syrup, and shawarma spice blend to evenly coat. Be gentle, as the cauliflower steaks can break apart, which is no big deal (but it’s ideal if they remain in one solid piece).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes total, flipping carefully once at the halfway point to ensure even browning on both sides, or until tender and browned.
- In the meantime, prepare the chutney by adding all ingredients (besides water // avocado is optional) to a food processor or high-speed blender and blend on high to combine, scraping down sides as needed. Then add water until a creamy sauce is formed.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more maple syrup for sweetness, salt for overall flavor, garlic for kick, or lime for acidity. Add to a serving dish (store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for 4-5 days).
- Serve by plating cauliflower and drizzling with chutney sauce. This makes a generous side dish, or to make this a more complete meal, serve over a bed of quinoa, alongside beans or hummus, or with roasted vegetables and tahini (like this salad).
- Store leftover cauliflower steaks in the refrigerator up to 2 days, though best when fresh. Reheat in a hot skillet on the stovetop or in a 350-degree F (176 C) oven.
Serving size: 1/2 of recipe* Calories: 144 Fat: 8 g Saturated fat: 1 g Carbohydrates: 18.3 g Sugar: 8.3 g Sodium: 643 mg Fiber: 5.5 g Protein: 4.1 g